Thursday, February 04, 2010

Job search notes: 3 word goals

Good ole' Punxsutawny Phil is reported to have seen his shadow on Feb 2, otherwise known as Groundhog Day. I saw mine while out for my morning run.

I realized while running that I needed to catch up on my three word goal for 2010. I had been busy with work, et al but now with that project complete, this is as good a time as any. I continued to draft this in my head as I finished my run through Franklin.

My three words for this year come from a discussion with a good friend as we re-work my resume. My prior versions as accurate as they are of my corporate and chronological work experience leave out the developments I have made outside the workplace all along the way. I felt that the community building work with the unconferences and Franklin Matters was not fairly represented. Over the course of several conversations, some themes revealed themselves and I'll use these are my 3 word goals for this year.

Conversation - continue to explore creative ways to engage folks in a conversation. I want to get to the heart of the matter for their point of view. Sometimes easier said than done. It will take time, patience, and good listening to 'read between the lines' as to what they really mean when they say what they say.

Content - the subject matter at hand. I have a few areas of content creation. I used to have more and skinned down to writing about Franklin, job searching and exploring the good experience. JJL has ended but the life long learning needed to do more than survive in this economic world will persist.

Community - My good PodCamp buddy Chris Brogan in his book Trust Agents (co-authored with Julien Smith) advocates building an army. In Franklin, I have grown my subscribers to over three hundred. With 19,000 registered voters, my BHAG is to get to 10,000! There is plenty of work to do.

How do the three words connect? I am looking to create good conversation around content that matters and build an engaged community.

What do you think of this? How am I doing?

What are your goals for this year?


-------------

Last year's goals:
http://steves2cents.blogspot.com/2009/01/3-word-goals-for-2009.html



Mid-year status:
http://steves2cents.blogspot.com/2009/06/3-word-goal-status-check.html

No comments:

Post a Comment