Tuesday, January 08, 2013

3 word goals for 2013

For several years now, I have been following +Chris Brogan's 3 word goal process. To save you some looking here is what I have declared previously:

In 2009, it was Basic, Leverage, and Return.
In 2010, it was Conversation, Content, and Community.
In 2011, it was Analogy, Bold, and Conduct

For 2012 it was Learn, Share, and Laugh

Bananagram titles

This year, my three words are Mentor, Leverage, and Exercise.

Mentor
This is a part of me. I do it a lot. On my running blog, I have the tag line "Leave no buddy behind." I tend to approach an individual and his/her situation in that way. Leading them to their answer. Lending confidence, fostering courage. The relationship is not about me. It is about them and what they can do to help themselves and others. We are all in this together. We might as well help each other along.

Leverage
Hay, you used leverage again? Is there a rule not to use the same one twice? If so, I am going to break it. Continuing the theme of helping each other along, leverage gets at using situations smartly. Doing something once that can be re-purposed. Write once, read many was an older technology (WORM). The concept still applies. In a busy world, working smartly will tend to be more successful in the long run than working hard. Hard generates sweat. If the sweat can be used for something else, then that is leverage!

Exercise
Yes, I run. I am a life long runner and love it. I do walk frequently. There is something about the walk around Franklin that is not unlike "management by walking around". if I am walking around anyway, why not carry the camera with me. That photo, yes it has good lighting, this shot can be useful! Take it, leverage the time on the walk. Maximize the effort with the opportunity for multiple returns. So that is all well and good. What I mean by exercise is that as I build my mileage back up, I need to do more stretching and upper body work. Running is not enough. Not doing the stretching and upper body work will actually hinder the higher mileage running and create the opportunity for injury. Not what I want!

So that is how I am approaching today and the next as we get into this new year. What are your goals for 2013?



+Chris Brogan
#the5

No comments:

Post a Comment